At FRSTeam by DKS Dry Cleaning Restoration, our fabric experts can restore virtually any type of window covering–drapes, swags, cornices and blinds. And, although more often than not people bring in their window coverings to us after they have experienced smoke, water or mold damage, window treatments actually are susceptible to other types of damage that include:
- Sun Damage: All window coverings suffer the damaging effects of sunlight, which can be seen in the lightening of color, the loss of texture or fabric degradation.
- Soiling: Window coverings act as natural filters for airborne dust, debris and soils.
Also, you don’t need to wait for your window coverings and treatments to experience damage to take care of them. Regular cleaning can extend the life of your curtains, drapes and blinds. Below are several factors to consider when cleaning them.
- Shrinkage: Occurs most often after the first cleaning but progressive shrinkage is normal. Drapes, sheers and curtains may experience dimensional shrinkage of up to 2 to 8 percent over their life.
- Shredding: Sun damage and atmospheric gases may weaken the fabric causing it to tear or shred during cleaning.
- Fading: Dyes and finishes may fade or dissolve in cleaning if they are not able to withstand the necessary cleaning procedures or are affected by exposure to light and soil while hanging in the home.
Our trained technicians will carefully inspect the fire, water, or other type of damage, note any pre-existing conditions and potential risks, then allow you to make an informed decision regarding the restoration cleaning of the damaged drapes.